Wednesday 22 April 2020

My Trusty Steed


Supply runs have become much easier this week after Neal attached a milk crate to the back of my bike. Between this and a back pack I am managing astonishing loads. Just in time, too - because the new season asparagus is out.

This is week 6, and though it must be admitted that Neal is much better at this than I am, we are both fine. I have swapped the sewing for hand-stitching - there's a textile art group on Facebook doing weekly challenges and so far it's been fun. So far as in I am 4 weeks behind and I have only just started yesterday - but whatever. I kept up with the sewing until I ran out of materials, and it did get marginally better.

In squirrel news, all the squirrels have now worked out the feeder, but the little one chews on the lid anyways because he is a complete and utter bastard. We read that peanuts weren't actually that good for squirrels, and that they liked vegetables, so we tried some broccoli florets and courgette in the hopes of encouraging a better (cheaper!) diet. The squirrels looked surprised, and investigated right away. One took a nibble of broccoli and then hurled it to the ground in what I can only assume was disgust. They all ignored the rest completely, and took turns sitting on the fence, staring meaningfully into the window. We have reverted back to peanuts and peace is restored. We've just hung a new goldfinch feeder up this morning so we'll see what the squirrels make of that! 



No comments: