Friday 24 November 2023

and so it begins...

It was the first brass band Christmas carolling gig tonight. You could tell because the temperature has been unseasonably warm until this morning when it checked its calendar and promptly fell 10 degrees and kicked in with an eye-wateringly vicious north easterly wind for good measure.

it was COLD.

But - I love this, despite the discomfort. People are happy (er). That's nice. And the music is really beautiful. Those carols. Those harmonies. Some of these songs are OLD old. even some of the newer ones are crunchy and beautiful. Have yourself a merry little Christmas. The minor-major modulation at the end of Coventry Carol. And the little kid, who shouted "Not likely!" when our conductor, Graham said that perhaps Santa will visit their house soon.

We are well - settling into the house and figuring out how it all works and what goes where. The alcove bookshelves are up and I'm really happy with them. They're made of scaffolding boards and cast iron brackets and I think you would never know that this is hands down the cheapest way to shelve anything!


(yes the clocks are still leaning against the bookcase on the floor. Maybe we'll put them up one day.) 

The mirror is from my friend Rose who assured me that Victorian terrace houses need mirrors and she had a few from her old house that we were welcome to - and - wow what a difference. These are workers cottages - the rooms are small - the mirrors are amazing. 

I do love the house - but I can't quite relax into it yet - I worry about things even though I know intellectually there's no point; that the worry is worse than the event - which in any case is unlikely. I feel the weight of responsibility for a structure that may require more resources than I have. I think I will get used to this and it will fade but I find myself staring at ceilings and walls with a vague feeling of unease.

But one thing I am looking forward to with no ambivalence at all is a two week holiday that will involve no painting, no DIY, no packing and unpacking - just the first Christmas in our house and a proper rest after a tumultuous year. Pubs with roaring fires, brass band carols, knitting, wine, cheese, puzzles - we are on the home stretch now.


No comments: