Wednesday 27 January 2021

bunnies a go-go

The bunny shirt is going well so far - as long as you don't require any anatomically correct bunnies. I only even attempted to pattern match on the front, and left the rest to fate. So far one shoulder seam has given us a rather startled looking 4-eyed, 4-eared bunny head, perhaps to make up for the (at least) 2 headless wonders elsewhere. I've been following a generic tutorial youtube video as well as the pattern instructions - thank goodness - I don't think I could have managed at all from only the instructions. Sewing patterns are like the old Mennonite cookbooks I get from my Mom where they consider "mix and bake" to be perfectly ample, reasonable, and thorough instructions at the end of a list of ingredients. The pattern in the videos is a little different so I've been trying to figure out how and why and if I need to do anything about it. I've done the sleeves and sides and am just heading into the collar and I just can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy. I mean I can understand the basic construction, but I can't get my head around how the centre seam can be the same on both the right and left pattern pieces when one overlaps - that can't be right can it? I must have missed something. I'm concerned that my bunnies won't match even where I was trying to.  Well, to be honest, I don't really care about the bunnies, I'm just annoyed that I have probably not understood something, and that I don't even understand what I haven't understood. I think I also may be deficient in the whole spacial imaging thing. I have been assessing, folding, glaring, and swearing at the collar pieces for an unimaginable part of the afternoon  (as in all of it)  and I still can't figure out which way it needs to go in order to have the bunny ears on the right side.

IT CAN'T BE THAT DIFFICULT.

can it?

No comments: