Wednesday 5 August 2020

I spent this afternoon, like so many afternoons and mornings these days, in back-to-back video meetings. But one of them was different. It was a meeting to discuss, on a wider level, how we work, how we want to work, and what our priorities are and how we communicate them in the next 4 - 6 months. So far, so normal. What wasn't normal, was that 9 out of the 10 participants were women. Women heading departments. Women making decisions. Women doing the data crunching. Women running with it.

I have been working full time (more or less) for 28 years (give or take). I have been the sole woman in meetings so often it has become normal. I have chaired meetings where I am the sole woman more often than I can count. 

This was a first.

It's like the composition of jazz bands - of course it doesn't matter what gender you are, or identify as. But how do you BE what you never SEE? So yes, it's important, and it matters. And right now - more than ever - we need ALL the brains around the table - regardless of the casing. 

I looked at that screen and thought.

Still thinking. 

No comments: