Thursday 30 January 2020

I just got back from a yoga class, held, amusingly, in St Jude's - the patron saint of lost causes. I was just trying it out to see if I liked it or not. The friend who recommended it said it was like going to therapy. I could probably use that, I thought. I really did try to like it. I would love to be the sort of person who likes a class like this. Alas it appears I am not that person. The woman who ran it was lovely, and had a very melodious voice (in the first relaxation I swear to god someone was snoring which was slightly off-putting but I guess they were just very ....relaxed). But as the class continued, she kept saying things like "you are pure light" and I kept thinking things like "well no not really". She'd say, "what is your heart telling you?" and I would think "hmm possibly angina?" And worst of all, in the final relaxation, I had to stifle a terrible urge to shriek with laughter - it kept bubbling up -  I think it was just the sheer earnestness of it all. I didn't laugh, thank goodness (oh but it was a close call).

I guess I'll have to find my therapy elsewhere.




No comments: