Friday 20 November 2020

Home entertainment

One of the nicer aspects about spending almost all of my time in the living room is watching the birds and squirrels. We've put window feeders on all three windows, and we have a squirrel feeder outside on the fence (James's Squirrelmatic 3000 is still going although a good chunk of the lid has been chewed through). The bird feeders are like a busy rail station at times - blue tits, great tits, chaffinches, robins, and Alfred the blackbird all zoom in and out with varying degrees of intensity. Dunnocks, wrens, wood pigeons, and collared doves wait for whatever drops onto the ground (a veritable buffet when Alfred is around).
A blue tit in the sunshine

But squirrels will be squirrels. No matter what delicacies we put into their feeder (and there are delicacies - we actually bought squirrel food - it's a mix of nuts, seeds, and some dried fruit. We are SUCKERS), they cannot resist the lure of the window feeders, which they cannot reach. The outside window ledge is at least a metre high, extremely narrow - less than an inch, and angled downward. I have become attuned to the subtle yet unmistakable soft thud of squirrel belly on glass and when I hear it I drop what I am doing and watch eagerly to see what mad scheme they're attempting this time. I'm impressed by their tenacity. I think one day, one of them will succeed. I hope I see it.









No comments: